If I could live in a time period it would be the 1780s or the 1850s in England.
- They had a thing called a Mantua. Is was an open-fronted, usually silk or wool gown, with a train. They only wore it to court or special events.
- The skirt part of the dress was usually dome or bell-shaped . Under the skirts they wore bloomers and pantaloons with lace .
- Females wore false rumps and put pads under their skirt to fill out their dress.
- Boys wore shirts ,breeches ,waistcoats and coats. Men also wore those but they would wear their necks open.
- Mens coats were fitted and trimmed differently than boys
- Boys never really wore hats
- Men wore wigs tied back
England’s Fashion in the 1850s
- The end of the century wigs were out of fashion except for formal occasions
- Coat skirts became less full-front cut and more into a curved line towards the back; waistcoats became shorter. The upper leg showed more by the end of the century.
- Hoop petticoats were only worn in court
- The width of the skirt was reduced
- Bonnets were worn
A couple years ago for Halloween, I dressed up as a vampire and wore a huge dress that kind of looks like the dresses people wore in the 1780s. Now that I’ve thought about it I would like to live in the 1780s, because it seems cooler!